Translate

Saturday, July 31, 2010

New projects!

I spent today staining and sealing these two boxes. One is a gift for Carol and I'm not sure about the other...I have to put the flowers and things in it but, it is almost done!



I am getting into a steampunk phase. Steampunk for those of you who don't know is a mix of Victorian, Edwardian, sci-fi, and futuristic things all mixed together in one pot. Whatever you like you can put it together even in historically it is wrong you can do it , put some gears on it and call it steampunk! ^_^
So what we have here are 2 big pleather bags I picked up at the thrift store for $3.00 each. I took them apart (my hands were VERY sore after that!) and here is what I have! I took the shoulder strap from one and it makes a GREAT belt and the part that held the handles together is going to be a wrist protector! Just use your imagination and see what you find. The top 2 pieces on the left (see 2nd pic.) are going to make a satchel for the book I made. neat huh? I am also going to make a outfit to go with it! maybe something with a bustle..?


I sorted the paper into 10 groups of 5 then folded them in half (making 100 sheets) and sewed along the back, when I had all the groups sewn I then sewed them together along the back with a thicker and stronger thread. I then covered it with interfacing (what I use in sewing) to protect the threads. One step I did not do that if (when I) do this project again I would cover the back with something like rubber cement before putting the interfacing on that way it would also stick the back of the pages together. I went to walmart and bought some thick cardboard and cut it into to large pieces and one small thin one for the back and glued some soft blue material over it. I then glued the first and last pages (making my book only 98 pages instead of 100 ...my bad) to the cardboard and there you have it!
The finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment