Translate

Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Dress Up Day!!

  So it is now Halloween and what is the best thing about Halloween? Everyone dresses up!! I love how I"m not the only one out there dressed up so I don't get as many weird looks. Don't get me wrong I still get them, just not as much.
  I had a lot of trouble this year trying to decide what I wan'ted to dress up as. Did I wan't to be "Valerie" from the movie Red Riding Hood?

Did I want to be Harley Quinn?

Or did I want to have another bustle dress??



 I almost had settled on "Valerie" since I AM Valerie when I happened to see the most PERFECT outfit on pinterest. (I you have not been on pinterest I both recommend it and warn against it as it is absolutely addicting but so full of wonderful things!)  When I saw this picture I fell in love with the dress and wanted it for my own. It was designed by a very talented artist  Juliajm15 on deviantart.com  and she was kind enough to let me copy her design.  I CANNOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THEY DESIGN OF THE DRESS IT BELONGS TO JULIAJM15   just in case I didn't make that clear. So without further adieu her design.......

Isn't that just do die for?!? Sigh!!

   I did make some changes to the dress to fit my particular needs and because I just can't do what she can. I didn't but the design on the bottom of the dress because I'm just not that good but maybe someday I'll try to tackle that challenge.




 Sleeves have points over the hands since I wasn't wearing gloves.


I have a hidden zipper in the back, other than that it is very plain.


 I tried and tried to get my hair to go up the way it looked in the picture but in the end had to go with this as it was the closest style I could get my hair into and because I was going to be late for work if I didn't.

 The dress is made from heavy bridal satin for the white and a polly satin blend for the gold with velvet ribbon for the black and red accents.
  Funny thing about me, I can't make my own pattern. I have tried and failed and have finally given up on the idea altogether. This dress is a mix of 4 patterns altered by myself to merge into what I had in mind for the structure of the dress. I am rather happy with how they went together but would use a different pattern for the bodice if I were to make this again. It didn't tailor well for me and I ended up using my corset so I looked like I had SOME shape.
  So after the trials of trying to do my hair then get into my dress without messing up my hair (thank you Mom) I then had to put on my face without getting anything on my very WHITE dress which wasn't hard because it was mostly just mascara. Just when I was about to get my shoes on my mom calls in that I need to get my car started right then because I had  ice covering my car. UGH!  So I turn my car on and move it to the sunlight where I let it sit for a few minutes while I grab my purse and lunch. Was the car ready to go? No. Haha!! That would be too easy silly! No, I had to get the scrapper out for the windows. What do you think happened next? You got it! I accidentally brushed against my car. Black marks all across the side front of the dress. I about died right there. I ran back into the house and got a wet rag and some Granny's magic spot remover and you can hardly see that it happened at all. I love that stuff!! I'm sure it will come out when I wash it but I didn't have time for it just then and it covered up the "oopsie" wonderfully. And no I wasn't late for work. I knew you were wondering. :D Other than that I had smooth sailing and a Fabsome time wearing my new dress. Thank you so much Juliajm15!!
 I hope you enjoyed looking at my dress and thanks for stopping by!

~Valerie.

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty and I compliment you on your great 'knock-off' Val! :)-Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. I had a lot of fun making that 'knock-off'! Thanks for coming in and getting pictures!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to get the dirt of this absolutely incredible dress!! Last time I wore an all-white dress (Marie Antoinette's Chemise a la Reine) I fell on ice, cut my hand and got blood on the dress! Why is white always cursed to get stained??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I recommend Grannies secret spot remover to everyone. It works like a charm! I think the dresses secretly like to mock us. I think that's why this is my first white dress and my others are either red or darker hues. I'm glad your dress wasn't ruined by your fall, at least I assume it wasn't as I don't see any blood on the dress in the pictures. If it was I would be very sorry for you as it is a beautiful dress!

      Delete