Translate

Saturday, May 23, 2015

So Saree!

I have a wonderful friend that gave me two sarees. I was going to leave it as was (it made a beautiful bedspread) and just learn how to wear it the way the people of India do but then decided I really didn't want to have a wardrobe malfunction at work. I then had to decide what I was going to make with the gorgeous purple and gold saree.
After much thought on the matter the best I could come up with was a skirt and matching blouse.  I wanted it to be fitted at the top but then I wouldn't be able to wear  it if I gained any weight so I gored the top  and added a bit of elastic. 
Something interesting I found when looking at the sarees is that they have the first bit of the fabric weighted so it stays down and keeps in the skirt shape. Great idea since the fabric is very light weight.

 I wanted it to be styled authentically (kinda)  so I cut off the pallu, pleated it, and sewed that in the front.

I didn't like how the waist band looked once I had it on so I had to take it out. I have to shorten it a bit and cut the elastic a bit shorter before reattaching it again.  That's my progress so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment